As we all know, having a healthy environment is essential in every aquarium and one of the ways to achieve that is to maintain the cleanliness of the water in the tank.
is it really necessary to have a protein skimmer in your tank? a protein skimmer is a big help to fishkeepers for this device will improve the quality of their water tank and its clarity as well. Some of its benefits are as follows:
- It collects all the waste in the tank. In a freshwater tank, all the waste is in the bottom of the tank waiting to be sucked by the filter. While in a saltwater tank, the waste is being dissolved. If you’ll notice a tank with an attached protein skimmer in a saltwater tank, small bubbles are being pumped in the tube and the waste is attached in that microbubble and will be separated ending up in the collection cup where the waste of fishes or corals looks like dirty oil.
- Mechanical filtration works by removing all the visible waste in the aquarium and will be trapped through this filter. However, this must be changed frequently because if not, the waste will move back and chemicals or toxins will envelop the water once again such as ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite.
With a protein skimmer, the waste will not go back to the water for no filter will break down and all the waste is stuck in the collection cup.
- It is unnecessary to change filters or media from time to time and worrying if some waste may leak or not for this protein skimmer provides bubbles that are used for cleaning the waste.
- Lessening the presence of nitrate by frequent removal of waste that there will be no chance for nitrate to grow. Unlike Biological filtration where it only disintegrates the nitrogen, creating and settling with the presence of ammonia and nitrate that can still be harmful to other species such as shrimps.
- Minimize the number of sprouting algae, extract toxins released by the species inside the tank such as the corals, and retaining the desired pH level.
Best protein skimmer for 75-300 gallon tank
Reef Octopus Classic 152-S Protein Skimmer
|10.4 x 8.1 x 20.7 inches
|up to 150 gallons
If you own a 150-160 gallon aquarium and have a narrow space for sump, this Reef Octopus protein skimmer is for you. It is created for the purpose of cleaning that is made out of acrylic. It has an unusual shape that is far from other protein skimmers, its cone-like shape helps to boost the creation of foam from organic waste.
You can see skimate being dragged out of your tank in just a few days. It has an easy to follow instructions for installation and adjusting the skimmer is very sweat-free to do.
In terms of the noise level, it is a good thing that it is at a low level so even if your aquarium is placed in your living room, there would be noise interruption. The attached collection cup for skimmate is enormous so frequent changing and cleaning of the cup is not that necessary.
Bubble Magus BM-Curve 5 Protein Skimmer
|26 x 9 x 10 inches
|up to 140 gallons
Offering a lot of features, in this Bubble Magus, you’ll surely get what you pay for. This is one of the renowned skimmers of all that claims to do exceptional work.
What makes it different from other protein skimmers out there is it had a needle wheel pump that set out to induce the appropriate amount or size of bubbles to be produced.
There is also a built bubble plate to bring down uneven movement coming from the reaction chamber and expect a quiet environment for the fishes and to your house for it comes with an air silencer.
Furthermore, the shape of this protein skimmer is designed for easier passage of foam to the collection cup. A hassle and work-free maintenance for it comes with a huge collection cup that can be removed easily together with the skimmer body.
Coralife Super Protein Skimmer with Pump
|4.25 x 5.5 x 20.75 inches
|65 gallon 125 gallon 220 gallon
Make your fish, shrimps, and corals happier with this Coralife protein skimmer. The good thing is, it has a wide variety of sizes that you can choose from so it caters to different sizes of aquariums.
It consists of a high-efficient foam fractionator, the same as Bubble Magus where this needle helps to produce just the right size of bubbles.
We all know that with saltwater tanks, waste is being dissolved, and using different kinds of filtration is a handful to use for it needs frequent changing and monitoring, but this protein skimmer definitely removes all dissolved waste in the water making fishkeepers’ life easier.
The exact sizes of bubbles built by the needle-wheel impeller captivate all the waste in the tank before proceeding to the collection cup.
This can be used in a hang-on tank and in-sump build.
Coralvue Technology AC20287 Octopus
|0.02 x 0.02 x 0.02 inches
Worry no more about a tough installation and set up, Coralvue protein skimmer guaranteed that all its features will work wonders for your aquarium. Among all the protein skimmer in the market, if you browse to the experiences of other users, this protein skimmer has the most positive feedback out there.
Uses Hailea otp pumps for a more preferable foam released. Pinwheel impellers attached have an upgrade to creating more fine bubbles to ensure that all the waste present in the tank will be removed.
However, this can only be used in an in-sump setup, but still provides an easy way to clean and remove the collection cup and neck of the protein skimmer. Expect that the level of its efficiency will not change in any circumstances. Plus, you can’t even hear any noise coming from it at all!
Simplicity 120DC Protein Skimmer
|6.7 x 6.3 x 18.5 inches
Pull all the skimate in your tank with Simplicity’s Protein Skimmer. The materials used are solid and don’t seem to be broken in just a few uses. Simplicity also offers a variety of products particularly the parts involved in this protein skimmer so you won’t have to find a store in case you need a replacement.
Everyone has a distinctive system to their aquariums, the best thing about this protein skimmer is that you can control the air intake and pump according to your level of need. It comes with a controller for easier maneuver. Made out of high-quality acrylic for easier cleaning, however, take not take you will be needing a thumbscrew whenever.
Hi, my name is Sean, and I’m the primary writer on the site. I’m blogging mostly about freshwater and saltwater aquariums, fish, invertebrates, and plants. I’m experienced in the fishkeeping hobby for many years. Over the years I have kept many tanks, and have recently begun getting more serious in wanting to become a professional aquarist. All my knowledge comes from experience and reading forums and a lot of informative sites. In pursuit of becoming a professional, I also want to inspire as many people as I can to pick up this hobby and keep the public interest growing.
Read more about Sean.
Please join also my Facebook group.